Other names: D-glucitol; L-Sorbitol; Sorbogem; Sorbo
- In sugar free candy manufacture, sorbitol finds it application as a sugar free reduced calorie sweetener. It improves the candy’s softness and chewy texture.
- In sugar free ice cream, it is usually used to provide sweetness, impart body and texture.
- In Diabetic fruit jam and peanut butter, sorbitol is used as a humectants to reduce dryness and improve spread ability.
- Textile and Leather Application:it is usually used as a dispensing agent, humectant/bodying agent, and sequestering agent. It is used as a color stabilizer in textile printing, as a humectant in textile sizing, and as a softener in finishing.
- Emulsion Products:it retards the loss of water by evaporation from oil in oil/water emulsions.
- Tobacco Industry:Sorbitol is used to contribute to the flavour of chewing tobacco and used as humectant and conditioner
- Adhesives Applications:The characteristics of sorbitol that it neither loses nor absorbs any appreciable quantity of water increases the viscosity of the glues composition, and its non-volatility are a merit in adhesive applications.
- Pharmaceuticals Industry:As a good humectant and plasticizer sorbitol is usually used in emulsion ointments and in gelatine capsules. It is also finds uses in pharmaceutical syrups where it’s stability, non-cariogenicity and viscosity are an advantage. Sorbitol is also used medically in culture mediums to distinguish between various strains of bacteria such as E coli.
- Others IndustriesSorbitol is used to make polyurethane foams with specific strength and absorbency which finds uses in, for instance, vehicle dashboards. It is also used as a chelator in metal working and is used in processes to anodize aluminum
|Non–Crystallizing Sorbitol||Crystallizing Sorbitol|
|Description||A clean colourless viscous liquid||A clear colourless viscous liquid|
|Taste Specific gravity at 25°C||Mild Sweet1.285 min.||Mild Sweet 1.290 min|
|Refractive Index at 20°C||1.455 to 1.465||1.457 to 1.462|
|Acidity Or||*NMT 0.2 ml of 0.01 M Naoh or|
NMT 0.3 ml of 0.01M
HCL Solution as per specified test in I.P
|*NLT 12.8ml of 0.05M Sodium thiosulphate solution should be consumed as per specified test in I.P|
|Optical Rotation||+1.5° to +3.5° (as per specified test in I.P.)||0° to +1.5° (as per specified test in I.P.)|
|Clarity & Colour||Clear and colourless||Clean and colourless|
|Arsenic||NMT 2 ppm||NMT 2ppm|
|Heavy Metals||NMT 10 ppm||NMT 10 PPM|
|Chloride||NMT 50 ppm||NMT 50 ppm|
|Sulphate||NMT 125 ppm||NMT 125 ppm|
|Nickel||NMT 1 ppm||NMT 1 ppm|
|Sulphated Ash||NMT 0.1% W/W||NMT 0.1% W/W|
|Solid Matter||68% to 72% W/W||69% to 71% W/W|
|Polyols||NLT 62% W/W As D-Sorbitol|
*NMT = NOT MORE THAN
|68% to 72% W/W As D- Sorbitol|
*NLT = NOT LESS THAN